Thursday 4 April 2013

Come Couch Time (Part 2)

Thanks for hanging in with me yesterday. I think this stuff is hard to listen to, and hard to talk about...but I have this feeling in my gut that they're really important.

This is a second video that I found, and it looks like it was recorded about 2 years after Brene's Ted debut.




I'm beginning to think about this conversation and the reasons why I write. I'd tell you what it sounds like in my mind, but it's a swirl of  a thousand snippets, which are most likely either a) already self evident to you or b) not interesting.

While I sort myself out of the mess, let me tell you that Brene has put me down a rabbit hole. I love and agree with so many of her things - and I find that they touch me because she has put words to so many of the reasons that I love writing. The pursuit of things that are true - stories that are true, and the ways they affect us. The ability to put words to something that seems dark or elusive, or the naming of something that has always been there and never identified.

Those places are not always easy to go, and can feel daunting when you decide to sit at your computer and see what pours out of your fingers.

But here we are. And an entire graduate degree program of self discovery and vulnerability awaits me in the fall.

I'm either going to write one hell of a book, or I'm going to crawl into my closet and live there until I've eaten all of the clothes and the hangers.

So one of the following is going to be appreciated:

a) please buy my book, and tell me its amazing even if it isn't
b) please come to my closet and bring me hot wings. hangers aren't as good as you might think.

Hopefully this spoke to you in some good way. Or at least got your thoughts swirling. Tomorrow I promise we don't do therapy!

Love you,

J


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some comments? Right this way...