Thursday 7 February 2013

Six Impossible...what?

So let's get the first things out of the way here. Cause we're all thinking it...and I know you've asked your computer screen already. I'm going to just put it out there. And I might even use some visual graphics, so you'd better be excited.

Where did "Six Impossible Things" come from? Like, what does it mean?


Well boys and girls, it's from a movie. A moderately bad movie. It got 2.5 stars on Rotten Tomatos  if that tells you anything. Of course, it was a Tim Burton film staring Johnny Depp, so that roped in some people right there.

Anyway, there is a theme in the movie, where Alice returns to Wonderland and the characters don't really recognize her because she has lost her "muchness." When first she came to Wonderland as a young girl, apparently she had balls and everyone really liked that about her. Then she grew up, learned that the world can be total shit sometimes and she learned to to be cautious.


There is a scene where some bad things are happening, and of the villain (The Red Queen of course) just so happens to have a dragon monster that is going to eat everyone. And this dialogue goes back and forth between Alice and the Mad Hatter:

ALICE: But this is impossible.

MAD HATTER:  Only if you believe it is.

His words spark a memory of her father. As if automatically, she whispers a quote her father used to say to her when she was a little girl.

ALICE: “Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast”.

MAD HATTER: An excellent practice...

Of course as good story telling would have it, Alice is destined to face off with this monster at the end of the film, and she is the only one who can save Wonderland. Because it would just be too convenient if there was any other way. But that brings us to this scene here, which I am going to ask you to actually watch:




So by the end of this clip I am literally in tears. Sobbing. Like an F-ing baby. Right now I am writing from my shared office, and I cannot even press play on this without totally looking ridiculous in public (ok so who am I kidding... me looking ridiculous nothing new. But still. Grow a pair Jenni).

Maybe it's because this whole year has been like Wonderland to me. I moved to San Francisco, and have learned to ride public transit with the local confidence of a person whose look of bordum says "I know which way the outbound train goes, and I never miss my stop." 

I got a job working at a marketing company where I was in charge of stuff that someone with my experience should never be in charge of. I learned the job, grew in the job, and then decided to leave the job because it wasn't big enough for me. 

I said things to my husband like "I wish I could write a book." And then I quit my job to do just that - be creative, design, take photos, and write. I applied to get a masters in writing, and could be going to grad school in the fall. I started my own marketing company this year. 

So yea - when she starts counting through her list of impossible things, it hits me. Big time. I feel like every day when I get up and go into my new shared office where I work on my projects, it's like sitting down to tea with the Mad Hatter and asking him if he wants one lump or two. 

So the name of my blog is deep, and cheesy for DAYS, and emotional, based on a movie that most Burton fans would consider a total sell out. I would feel dumb about it except for the part where I reminds me that I'm fucking Shera Warrior Princess, and it doesn't matter what the world thinks of me, I work hard every day and kick the shit out of my dreams. 




Now go take on the day,

jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some comments? Right this way...