Monday 25 March 2013

It's Spring in San Francisco.

I swear there is literally nothing better in the entire world than the turning of spring in this city.

It's been nearly 2 years since Steve and I moved here from Southern California, and for the most part we haven't looked back. We don't really miss LA; we don't miss having to drive everywhere we go, we don't miss Panera Bread and Starbucks on every corner, we don't miss Irvine's perfectly planned communities. BUT OH MY GOD WE MISS THE SUNSHINE.

As much as we're in love with San Francisco, the weather is still something I'm not adjusted to. I constantly have the feeling that I'm waiting for summer...like it's right around the corner, and it will finally be 85 and I can pull my shorts out from under the bed (how sad this this - all of my shorts and bathing suits are literally packed away. And I keep waiting for the day when I can put them in my drawers...yet we never get there. It's like a mean mirage).

But I have discovered a little secret - a little corner of the universe that is sparkly and perfect:

SAN FRANCISCO IN THE SPRING TIME.


Spring time around here is like LA and SF had a little city baby - a magical land where culture, and art, and great food, and beautiful city landscapes all come together with a light coating of sunshine. It is literally perfection on earth.

This warmer weather isn't amazing just because I am a little sun goddess whose skin has a love affair with Vitamin D - it is amazing because of how much a difference those 10 degrees can make on the quality of life around here.

San Francisco Normally:

Some tourist at Lands End...wishing they'd brought more jackets.

San Francisco on a Nice Day:

This was the view right behind them...when it's not being blocked by the fog

See? TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES.

I realized over this weekend that my troubles with the cold are so much more than temperature. They have to do with the kind of lifestyle I love. When it's 55 and windy you aren't likely to say "Hey! Let's go hiking!" Instead you turn into this kid:




Now I realize that as I am typing this, that there are going to be two kinds people reading this post:

1) You live(d) in Minnesota, or Boston, or somewhere with real weather, and you're rolling your eyes while thinking, "Duh. There are seasons. You can't just go to the beach anytime you want. Sometimes it's cold outside dumbass. That's why spring is so majestical - it's the first warmth of the year and you get to do all of the sparkly outdoor things in the land."

2) You're like me and have always lived in Southern California where the weather is always nearly perfect, and you're like, "What's a season? Oh, that's when you need an umbrella. I used one of those once. I think it's in my closet somewhere, but I don't know where cause its been like 9 months since I've had to use it. Plus I don't go outside when it rains. You get cold and wet. So I just call in sick from work. Wanna go to the beach?"

So if you answered #1, I say this to you:  I'm new to this whole "seasons" thing, so don't judge.

(In fact, it was only like 9 months ago that I realized that people here check the weather because it changes all the time. Usually I'm just all, "Wait...there's an app that tells you when it's going to RAIN?")

If you answered #2 I say this to you: YES, THERE IS THIS WEIRD THING CALLED SEASONS. Sometimes is miserable for weeks on end, and you skin turns shades of white that you didn't know that your DNA was capable of. And you learn to about things like booties, and layering jackets, and how to wear lots cute scarves. And then one sparkly day in February, the cherry blossoms begin to bloom and suddenly you whole world feels like this:



So, no matter where you lie on the weather spectrum, let's all agree that spring is the best thing in the world.

Now here are some pictures of kick-ass things I did over the weekend because it was 65 and all of San Francisco rejoiced:
Riding Beyonce in the Marin Headlands

More Beyonce Riding and kicking ass.


Pink cups. Champagne. Sunshine.

Reading magazines and picking fights. Lol.
Blurry sunshine mouse. Best thing ever.


Not a horribly shitty weekend :)

At the end of this week, Steve and I will be going to Newport to see our families for Easter weekend - so bring on more sunshine! I hope I get so sunburned that my skin falls off.

Alright happy monday,

-J

Oh and ps - no word from Miss Marbles as to whether or not she's going to be joining me for my birthday. She was at a conference over the weekend (it was all over Instagram...I'm not like stalking her life that intently), so I am assuming she's getting back into the swing of things and will be giving me her  acceptance shortly. If you feel like continuing to tweet at her to make sure she saw my post, I would be ok with that. Hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some comments? Right this way...