Monday 4 March 2013

Video Week: Part One, The Pale Blue Dot

So, I have a small guilty pleasure.

I collect YouTube Videos.

Well, I suppose I don't "collect them"...they're out on the internet for free for anyone to look at. But over the past 3 or 4 years or so, I have started growing a collection of videos that I watch over and over and over and over and over.

They aren't the kind of videos you might expect me love. There is no burning hair, men pretending to be women, or auto tuned remixes.

These are a different kind of video.

I am tempted here to go into a big long spiel trying to capture exactly what it is about these clips that I find so enthralling, and why I keep coming back to them....but I don't know if that can be done.

That is exactly what I love about this little collection: they are enthralling and elusive at the same time. Simple yet moving.

Some of these clips I have literally watched hundreds of times. I have had bad days where I feel lost and uninspired and have put them on repeat, and just sat at my desk letting them go by over and over and over. They whisper things that kick my ass in the worst of ways.

So this week, I have a surprise for you. We're doing a week of movies, where I am going to share my top 5 favorites. Some of these are popular and you might have seen them before. Some you might not like or get why I think they're so amazing - but this is my blog so shut up. Hahhaa. I'm totally kidding. I think you'll like some of these, and I'm excited to share them.

So, first up is The Pale Blue Dot.
(I have watched this 17-billonty times. I simply cannot get over it.)



It literally pushes the air from my lungs.
We are so small.



There are a thousand other words in my brain, but I feel it will do no justice. I'm just going to press replay.

Happy Monday,

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some comments? Right this way...